Jenny Fowler, writing on behalf of Bristol Design, has found something which they haven't seen before in 30 years...

This is a very unusual plane made to work on a curved surface, with a cutter to form a rebate.  

 J715973 1024x618

Might it be a wheelwwright's tool? Or a cooper's? 

 J715965 1024x640

Does anyone recognise it? 

 J715964 1024x684


 J715972 1024x471


#1 AndyT 2019-09-03 10:50
It's a band setter.
I spotted a picture of one on page 42 of Alvin Sellens' Dictionary of American Hand Tools and found another in Knight's Mechanical Dictionary here which gives a clearer explanation of its use.

It was to cut a rebate around the end of a wooden wheel hub, so that a strengthening band of metal could be put on.
If a wheelwright was making a hub, he could do that on the lathe but this tool made it possible in-situ. You jacked up the wheel, an assistant turned it round, while you held the tool against the hub, shaving off a rebate, with the shoulder defined by the vertical cutter.

Add comment

Security code